Messy Church Theology
Exploring the significance of Messy Church for the wider church
Messy Church Theology is the first title to encapsulate the academic theology of Messy Church. Through essays by contributors from a variety of church and academic backgrounds and case studies by Messy Church practitioners, it gathers together some of the discussions around Messy Church and assesses the impact of this ministry, placing it in the context of wider developments within the church community.
Section 1: Messy questions
- 1 When is Messy Church 'church'?
- 2 When is Messy Church 'not church'?
- Case study: Messy Church Special Educational Needs
- 3 How does Messy Church travel?
- 4 Does Messy Church make disciples?
- Case study: Messy Church at St Christopher's
Section 2: Messy foundations
- 5 Messy theology
- 6 Messy disciples
- Case study: Messy Church Fiesta
- 7 From Sunday school to Messy Church: a new movement for our age?
- 8 What is the DNA of Messy Church?
- Case study: Messy Church @ Christ Church Primacy
Section 3: Messy practicalities
- 9 Messy maturity: paradox, contradiction or perfect match?
- 10 Messy Church: how far can you go before reaching the limit?
Tim G. Waghorn
- Case study: the story of the 'Messy angels'
- 11 Some frameworks to explore Messy Church and discipleship
- 12 Growing, maturing, ripening: what might an older Messy Church look like?
- Case study: St Andrew's Church, Bebington: the journey of an older Messy Church
- 13 Why we might expect mess, not merely tolerate it
Published October 2013